Henryk Marcin Broder (born 20 August 1946, self-designation Henryk Modest Broder ) is a Polish-born German journalist , author and TV personality.
Broder is known for polemics , columns and comments in written and audiovisual media. He wrote for the magazine The mirror as well as the daily Berlin newspaper Der Tagesspiegel . Since 2010, he has been writing for The World . He is co-editor of The Jewish Calendar , a compilation of quotes and texts relating to German Jewish culture, published annually. In addition to his numerous publications, he also appears as a frequent guest on German TV talk shows. In 2010 and 2011 he produced and starred, alongside Egyptian-German writer and political scientist Hamed Abdel-Samad , in the satirical TV series Either Broder ( en ) – The Germany Safari (“Either Broder – The Germany Safari”) on ARD .
Broder is especially interested in coping with the past , Islam , Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict . He sees a close relationship between German criticism of Israel ‘s policies and antisemitism , a view criticized by, among others, the French-German columnist Alfred Grosser . 
Born in Katowice , Silesia , Poland, Broder moved to Cologne with his family in 1958. Both of his parents were survivors of Nazi concentration camps. In Cologne, he studied economics , law and psychology but failed to graduate. Together with fellow student and nascent writer Fred Viebahn ( de ) , whom he had known since high school times, he founded and edited two short-lived radically liberal quarterback read ( “PoPoPo” and “Bubu / Eiapopeyea”). In the late 1960s he took over the St. Pauli News ( DE )together with the journalist Michel Roger Lang, a highly successful tabloid newspaper in Hamburg , along with Günter Wallraff , Stefan Aust and the photographer Günter Zint ( en ) , in order to work with a combination of leftist articles, nude photography and lonely hearts ads.
In the 1970s, citation for the satirical magazine Pardon ( en ) . From 1979 to 1981 he published, together with fellow journalist Peter Finkelgruen ( de ) , the periodical “Free Jewish Voice”. In 1981, he left Germany to work in Israel for a while, and continued to write for high-level periodicals as Die Zeit , Profil , Die Weltwoche , and Süddeutsche Zeitung . In the 1980s hosted the television talk-show so he people , alongwith Elke Heidenreich , Which ran onSender Freies Berlin ; one of Their guests what African-American poet Rita Dove , who had just won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize and is married to Fred Viebahn, Broder’s old friend from Cologne.
Broder wrote a series of books which dealt with the relationship between Germans and Jews, respectively the growing German Jewish community. Together with Eike Geisel , Broder published essays, books and a documentary about the Jewish Cultural Union, a previously unknown chapter of Jewish German cultural life during the Third Reich. He wrote books on foreign policy with special regard to Israel, Islam and the growing German Jewish community.
Ever since Operation Entebbe , Broder grew more and more critical of the Israeli approach to Israel and what Broder sees as appeasement towards Islamic threats. In Broder’s opinion, Anti-Zionism is in essence anti-Semitic. 
Broder’s trademark is polemical, blunt and quick-witted style. He publishes hate mail and heated exchanges between him and critics on his website. The result of some of Broder’s polemics were a series of lawsuits, some won and some lost by him. Many of Broder’s writings for outlets are as spiegel.de and welt.de are archived at the Axis of the Good blog which, together with two other prominent German journalists, operates as a collaborative platform for the unfettered expression of about two dozen of his colleagues ,
Broder is married to a publisher and they have a grown daughter. He lives in Berlin.
- 1986 Prize of the 5th International Journalism Competition Klagenfurt
- 2005 Schubart Literary Prize
- 2007 Goldener Prometheus ( en ) for Broder’s online journalism, especially the Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy
- 2007 Ludwig Börne Prize
- Who is afraid of pornography? A porn report , Melzer, Darmstadt 1970
- As co-author: The scissors in the head. About censorship and self-censorship , Cologne 1976
- Thank you very much. Up to here and not further. With contributions by Detlef Hartmann, Ulrich Klug, Uwe Maeffert, Ulrich Vultejus , Konkret Literature-Verlag, Hamburg 1980
- The Eternal Anti-Semite. About sense and function of a constant feeling , 1986
- Foreign in your own country. Jews in the Federal Republic , 1987
- I love Karstadt and other eulogies , 1987
- with Geisel, Eike : Premiere and Pogrom. The Jewish Cultural Association 1933-1941. Texts and Pictures , Siedler, Berlin 1992 ISBN 3-88680-343-0
- Have mercy on the Germans , 1993
- Merry Christmas! On the Road in New Germany , 1994
- Volk and Wahn , Goldmann, Munich 1996
- The Jews of Mea Shearim , 1997
- The madmen of Zion , Hoffmann and Campe, Hamburg 1998
- To each his , Ölbaum Verlag 1999
- www.deutsche-leidkultur.de , Ölbaum Verlag 1999
- No war, nowhere: The Germans and the Terror , Berlin Verlag, Berlin 2002
- A Jew in the New Germany , University of Illinois Press , Champaign, 2003
- Hurray, we surrender – From the pleasure of buckling , wjs Verlag, 2006
- Critique of Pure Tolerance , wjs Verlag, Berlin 2008
- Forget Auschwitz! The German memory mania and the final solution of the Israel question , Albrecht Knaus Verlag , Munich 2012
- Oh, how! Gad Granach and Henryk Broder on tour , CD, Olive Tree Publishing, Augsburg 2000, ISBN 3-927217-40-9
- Evelyn Hecht-Galinski
- Jump up^ Grosser, Alfred (1 September 2008). “Obfuscation as a method” . Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (in German).
- Jump up^ We are all traumatized(We all are traumatised): “Anti-Zionism is just an excuse for non-Jews and Jews to be able to present their anti-Semitism in a politically aseptic form, so to speak, no one goes and says: I am anti-Semitic Origin in not anti-Semitism … It goes without saying that all positions can be represented in an enlightened discussion. “Criticizing Israel is perfectly natural.” There is no antizionism which does not have its origin in anti-Semitism [Antisemitism is for Jews and non-Jews just antisemitism in a political aseptic version. ] It’s a matter of course that in an enlightened argument. is a matter of course.)