The Jewish Internet Defense Force ( JIDF ) is an organization that uses social media to mobilize support for campaigns against websites and Facebook groups that promote or praise what it describes as Islamic terrorism or antisemitism . The group’s website describes the JIDF as a “private, independent, non-violent protest organization representing a collective of activists”.  The JIDF’s work has been termed ” hacktivism ” by some media outlets.  
Organization and methods
According to the JIDF, the organization “formed a grassroots effort in 2000, to mount mass e-mail campaigns, in response to the outbreak of the Second Intifada.”  The website is a person who identifies himself as “David Appletree.”  According to a reporter from The Jewish Week in 2009 he will not say if that is his true surname. In the same article Appletree accused Facebook administrators of antisemitism for closing down his account. A Facebook spokesperson replied that the account was terminated because of the website did not believe it was using his real name, which is a breach of Facebook’s “real name culture”. 
The group says they “especially target hateful material gold material which blatantly promotes hatred gold violence, no matter where it can be found.”  The “About” page of the website says “We believe in direct action both to eradicate the problems we face and to cause them to suffer.”  The group focuses its attention on websites like Facebook ,   YouTube , Google Earth , and Wikipedia .  The JIDF has redirected anti-Israel Facebook group Mossad collaborator, “among other actions.  A website spokesman told Haaretz that they do not break any laws and that the JIDF “prefers the terms ‘sixteen control,’ ‘take over’ or ‘infiltrate’ to ‘hack.'” 
In another article, “The Main Reason of the JIDF”, “The Reason of the JIDF,” “We are a grassroots organization that reaches the hearts and minds of the normal, Everybody in the world who has never had a say in Israel and the Jewish people in every way imaginable. ” 
During 2007, a controversy on Facebook was reported involving “the drop-down list of places where they live.”  A Facebook group, “Palestine is not a country …”, had been formed in 2007. Several Facebook groups formed to support or oppose this removal “Delist it from Facebook as a country”. Matt Hicks of Facebook Answers: “As long as the groups meet us, they can stay up.” But we encourage users to report anything that is racist or objectionable.  The JIDF has been called “Israel is not a Country” and has been attacked by the United States.  After Facebook, the JIDF said it was somehow took control of the group in July 2008. 
Selon was November 2008 Article in Haaretz ,  the JIDF forwarded lists of Facebook groups That It deemed Promoted hatred or violence to the website’s administrators, They Would Be Hopping removed. According to a named man “David” quoted in the article Haaretz, Facebook either did not wait or waited months before taking action. “David” told Haaretz that he can not do anything to get to the point of trying to intercept Facebook groups and make them impossible to access. ” The JIDF was particularly upset about Facebook groups praising the shooting of students at Jerusalem’s Mercaz HaRav Yeshiva in March 2008. 
In July 2009, the JIDF and Dichter Avi took credit for a successful pressuring Facebook in removing a fan page for Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah . The JIDF said it mobilized supporters to the Facebook page.  The JIDF website claims that it deleted the vast majority of a pro-Hezbollah fan page’s 118,000 members. The JIDF sites says it has removed more than 100 antisemitic groups from Facebook.  The JIDF said in September 2009 that it took over the Facebook group “Eliminate Israel from Being” and deleted more than 5,000 members before Facebook management “returned control of the site to its administrators.” 
The JIDF has criticized Holocaust denial groups on its network. The group has made it so that it is hypocritical of Facebook to remove groups that support the KKK, for instance, while not removing what it considers Holocaust denial sites and has vowed to keep putting pressure on Facebook over the matter.   
Elsewhere on the Web
JIDF’s measures “include reporting Wikipedia editors it claims to be anti-Israel,” said Haaretz wrote. The group HAS Sought to Palestinian villages-have-been listed as destroyed HAVING DURING THE foundation of Israel removed from Google Earth and campaigned HAS Against the description of “Palestine” as a country. 
The JIDF Organized a Gilad Shalit campaign in 2009 on the Twitter social networking site . During the Tweet4Shalit campaign Twitter users drove the Gilad Shalit name to the second highest trend on the day of his 23rd birthday. Tweets for Shalit ranged from the “Free Shalit” to requests for international supervision of the case.  
The JIDF was recognized by the JTA as one of the “100 Most Influential Jewish Twitterers” and was ranked as the Jewish Newswire. 
In October 2008, the German newspaper the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) wrote that “the following are some of the issues that have emerged from the Israeli settlement in the Gaza strip in 2005 – they are watching this policy of trading Land for Peace as wrong. ” The newspaper Wrote That “Ultimately the JIDF veut aussi propagate ‘Jewish values on the Internet. This leads to the self-appointed warriors contre online-hatred to link Their Own homepage to a dubious website named’ thereligionofpeace.com. [23 ] The JIDF website says “Mohammed was a genocidal pedophile who murdered people who did not think like he did, or believe the things he believed in. Millions of Muslims promote the idea that if we” insult “him (despite the fact that he’s dead ), that we should be killed. ”  The website says that Mohammad was a “false prophet” and that the ” Islamic ideology is clearly one of hatred and violence, which is declaring war against the entire non-Islamic world … it is determined to dominate the world , just as Nazism was. ” The website came out against plans to build an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zeroin New York, and said this was the reason why. “Because Islam is a hateful and violent ideology which deals with all non-Muslims (especially Jews, as it is obsessed with us, and dehumanizes us as apes and pigs), we are against ALL mosques. just as we are contre Nazism . Just as we do not wish to see springing up everywhere Nazi institutions, we do not need to see one’s Islamic springing up everywhere, Either. ” 
In May 2009, CNN wrote that the JIDF is “sometimes guilty of sweeping generalizations of its own”,  citing a 2008 interview published on Facebook critic Brian Cuban’s site in which a JIDF representative discussed “the issues surrounding [then- candidate Barack Obama’s “terrorist connections as well as his racist and anti-Semitic church, which has supported Hamas and the Rev. Louis Farrakhan “, and the response when asked how the Jewish and Muslim communities saw the JIDF, that “99.9% of Muslims hate us “.  CNN quoted a JIDF spokesperson as saying he would rather not have anything to do with “informality” and Cuban “we would like to see you soon”.  Asked in the Cuban interview “What is the position of the JIDF on the” Palestinian Question “Regarding the disputes over occupied territories” The spokesman replied: “Palestinians should be transferred from Israeli territories. We Are Against All Land Concessions We Are Against the Phenomenon of Israeli Prisoners We are against the arming and funding of our enemies. Israel must truly act as a “light unto the nations” in order to be safe and secure. 
- Internet activism
- Haganah Internet
- Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America
- Jump up^ “Jewish Internet Defense Force (mainpage)” . JIDF. 2008-08-23 . Retrieved 2008-08-23 .
- Jump up^ “Thejidf.org Site Info” . Alexa Internet . Retrieved 2015-04-03 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b “About the JIDF” . JIDF. 2010-09-02.
- Jump up^ “Gaza crisis spills onto the web” . BBC News . January 14, 2009.
- Jump up^ Hartman, Benjamin L. (2011-11-08). “Israel’s Internet intifadaIsrael News – Haaretz Israeli News source” . Haaretz.com . Retrieved 2012-06-20 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b Stephanie Rubenstein (July 29, 2008). Jewish Internet Defense Force seize control of anti-Israel Facebook group . Jerusalem: The Jerusalem Post . Retrieved September 3, 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b Internet activist No. Facebook friend of The Jewish Week
- Jump up^ “JIDF Response to Wikipedia” . JIDF. 2008-08-05.
- ^ Jump up to: a b Morrison, Sarah (2008-03-04). “Jewish Activist Battles For Israel on Facebook” . Israel National News . Retrieved 2008-08-23 .
- Jump up^ Morrison, Sarah (2008-07-27). “Jewish Activists Anti-Semitic Hack Facebook Group” . Israel National News . Retrieved 2008-08-23 .
- ^ Jump up to: a b Moore, Matthew (2008-07-31). “Facebook: ‘Anti-Semitic’ group hijacked by Jewish force” . London: The Telegraph .
- ^ Jump up to: a b c d e Benjamin Hartman (2008-11-14). “An online battle for Israel’s legitimacy” . Haaretz .
- Jump up^ http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/137769
- ^ Jump up to: a b Zerbisias, Antonia (2007-05-03). “Playing Politics on Facebook” . Toronto: The Star.
- Jump up^ Social media users successfully face down Nasrallah on Facebook, Jerusalem Post, July 29, 2009
- Jump up^ Lungen, Paul (2008-09-25). “Anti-Israel Facebook groups infiltrated” . Canadian Jewish News . Retrieved 2008-09-25 .
- Jump up^ Call for hate groups to be taken offline, The National, Dubai, June 15, 2009
- Jump up^ Is Facebook Changing its Tune on Holocaust Deniers? , CS Monitor, May 11, 2009
- Jump up^ Miller, Elan (August 27, 2009). ” ‘ Facebook does not bar hateful happy against Jews ‘ ” . The Jerusalem Post . Retrieved September 3, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Ryan, Josiah Daniel; Miller, Elan (August 27, 2009). ” ‘ Tweet4Shalit’ campaign reaches No. 2 spot in Twitter” . The Jerusalem Post . Retrieved September 3, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Happy Birthday for Gilad Shalit? , Israel National News, August 5, 2009
- Jump up^ 100 Most Influential Jewish Twitterers ArchivedPost Comment2009-09-17 at theWayback Machine., JTA, May 1, 2009
- Jump up^ Christoph Gunkel, Antisemitismus im Web 2 , Frankfurter Allgemeine FAZ.NET 14. Oktober 2008. Quotes are taken from the authorised English translation,Facebook and Google Earth: Anti-Semitism in Web 2.0Published on Zionism On The Web, seen 22 November 2008
- Jump up^ Must see Religion of “Peace” Photo of the day JIDF website, May 19, 2010.
- Jump up^ During Ramadan Celebrations, Obama Supports Ground Zero Mosque (as do the “protesters” … just not at Ground Zero)JIDF website, August 14, 2010
- ^ Jump up to: a b Lisa Respers France, Facebook urged to remove Holocaust-denial groups , CNN.com , May 8, 2009.
- ^ Jump up to: a b Cuban, Brian. “Inside The Jewish Internet Defense Force” . Brian Cuban. Archived from the original on 2010-11-11 . Retrieved 2010-09-05 .